Transmission Mount Question

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 15:24:43 EDT

Is there a rule of thumb on how much the tranny should move when checking
for a bad transmission mount? Or if there is any play, is it condsidered
bad? Any help would be appreciated. Jon Smith has lead me away from possibly
having bad ujoints in my Dak's front driveshaft, to possibly having a
bad/broken tranny mount. I am fairly convinced the ujoints are fine anyways.
If anyone is unawre, I have(as well as Jon) this clunking noise only when
accelerating from a dead stop, and it sometimes will happen/clunk 2 times
per acceleration. I ocassionally get this clunk when putting the truck in
reverse, and putting the initial load upon the drivetrain by giving it some
gas. I put a floor jack in the backside of the tranny and lifted it up a
bit, about 3/8-1/2". I also put a prybar inbetween the upper and lower
tranny mount plates, and there was some upwards movement. I am just unsure
how much play warrants a bad tranny mount. All of the steel plates looked
fine, but I think after 127,000 miles the rubber mount/bushing has seen its
better days. Jon, any input here?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6