Re: Transfer Case

From: Joe.Carrico@Fleetguard.com
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 17:40:02 EDT

>I have the NP231 tcase on my 93 Dakota. I have 126,500 miles on it and
have
>had only 1 problem with it trying to engage 4WD, and it was really my
fault.
>Here is what happened:
 snip snip
>I do know the the Dakotas still use the NP231 and it should be very easy
>find a replacement unit at any local scrapyard and since it is a very
>popular tcase, most transmission shops work on them also. What do you
mean
>by "The transfer case just disintegrated?" Did he have it in 4WD while
>driving in dry road conditions? Maybe he was not aware it was in 4WD
mode,
>and this would cause the tcase to "disintegrate" in no time at all.
>Kyle
>93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Maybe disintegrated was a little harsh, but the case is busted. The
mechanic who is working on it is still having a hard time finding a
replacement part. It is an np231 but the local junk yard which is one of
the largest ones in middle Tennessee couldn't find one and the owner said
he could sale 20 if he had them. A new one has been on back order from the
local dealer for 4 weeks and I just heard yesterday that it would be
September before one arrives.