Ripley's "Believe It or Not" (Fuel Economy)

From: Bell, John (JBell@vignette.com)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2000 - 18:29:17 EDT

So, I see a few people have been handing out some
mileage numbers here and there. Here's my data point,
for what it's worth... I've been averaging around
15mpg (combo of city and hwy driving, with a few
traffic jams thrown in for good measure) over the
past few tanks of gas (about 1000 miles of driving).
Anyway, the "believe it or not" comes into play
with the type of Dakota I'm driving - '00 QC SLT+ with
5.9, auto, and 4wd with an NV242 transfer case.
So far, I only have 2800 miles on my truck. When
I first got it, I was getting around 10-11mpg (ack),
but it broke in nicely by the thousand mile mark.
Oh yeah, my truck is stock. The only difference
is I started running premium in it a month or so
ago when the weather was *hot* and it started to
ping on acceleration and hills. So, I've been running
the expensive stuff in it ever since. I probably just
need to get something set up so that it runs cooler
(DEI Radiator Relief and a 180 degree 'stat comes
to mind). Hell, I got the factory HD cooling on
it, guess that's not enough when it's 110+ outside.

Oh well, while I'm rambling, I put the smack down on
a Toyota Land Bruiser today who thought he was hot
stuff, and was gonna race me at the light so he could
change into my lane in front of me instead of behind
me. It was one of those amusing races where neither
side really knows they're racing until about 50' past
the light ;-). The look on his face when I pulled
three lengths on him all of the sudden was priceless.
It was all the more embarrasing for him because I had
three passengers with me, while he had none. Yeah, that's
right buddy, you paid $60k for a rolling brick :-D.
I thought only Chevys were supposed to be Like A Rock(tm)...

Have fun y'all,

--
John Bell
mailto:jbell@vignette.com