Recall on 2K Dak - Brake Line

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 22:03:10 EDT

   Well I went to the site that someone else had posted (Thanks!) and got the
one on the brake line. After reading it I headed to the garage to check my
truck to see if it's affected. Sure as hell. I performed the stated service
myself. Took about 45 seconds. (Including gettin back out from under the truck
to get some snips..) Basically there is a wiring harness and the brakeline
that have clamps to hold them about an inch apart. Well they routed the rear
axle vent hose through them to keep it looking neat. Except that the vent hose
then rubs against the flexible brake hose going to the axle. Mine had rubbed a
nice shiney spot on the brake hose already. (7000 miles) I think it still ahd
a good ways to go though. Anway, I thought Id pass it on because you may not
want to wait for September to get your recall notice.... I intend to tell them
I did the service and I'd like the brake hose replaced when I get my recall
and take it in.
Below is the recall text....

Recall Alert: DODGE TRUCK DAKOTA
Owner Notification Date: Jul 28, 2000
Number of Units Potentially Affected: 437,000
Component Description: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:LINES:HOSE:NON-METALLIC
NHTSA Campaign Number: 00V198000
-
Description of Recall Campaign:
Vehicle Description: Pickup trucks. Some vehicles may have been built with
inadequate clearance between the rear axle vent hose and the brake hose.

A puncture in the rear brake hose will result in a loss of braking force at the
rear wheels.

Dealers will inspect the rear brake hose for evidence of wear. Worn brake hoses
will be replaced. The rear vent hose will be shortened by 3 inches and a clip
will be installed to assure clearance between the axle vent line and brake hose
is maintained.
Owner notification is expected to begin during late September 2000. Owners
who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date
and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact
DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-992-1997. Also contact the National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT
(1-888-327-4236).