Re: exhaust opinions??

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 09:59:08 EDT

> I am continually breaking hangers on my custom dual exhaust setup and am
> getting tired of rewelding them and my tips are interfering with my spring
> shackle and trailer hitch.Does anybody on the list run their exhaust
> "dumped" under the bed? is it a whole lot louder? Would you recommend it
as
> an alternative to having my duals re-bent to fit right or exit in another
> location? TIA,

Will,
While my exhaust is not dual, I do have it dumped under the bed. On the
stock truck, the exhaust pipe comes out and exits at a 90 degree angle right
behind the rear passenger's tire. I am sure you know what I am talking
about. About a year or so ago, I cut off this 90 degree bent and welded in a
45 degree piece of mandrel bent pipe. So now, the exit pipe comes out right
under the corner of the rear bumper. I put a Meg's Stainless Oval Tip and it
really looked great. I then replaced the stock muffler with a Flowmaster
3chamber Delta Flow Muffler. It sounded great. Well then the tip was crushed
on a 4wheelin trip and I decided to go function over fashion. I didnt want
the exhaust to cause a problem again. If you notice, on the stock exhaust
system, it arches high up over the axle and comes back down right behind it.
I cut the pipes off right there and installed a turn down style exhaust tip.
I think overall I cut out like 30 inches of pipe. I installed a heavy duty
stainless steel clamp and used 1/4" thick steel plate connected and drilled
into the frame for a hanger. I will never have to worry about exhaust
problems and clearance issues again. The sound is just about the same
really.
Check this link out, should have some pics on my exhaust on there:
http://www.bastaards.org/Kyle.htm
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6