Re: 9 second honda

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 14:23:45 EDT

With 245hp, low 9's is exactly what he should be running in the 1/8 mile.
Maybe we should call it the 200 meter dash?

The truth is that there are quality import drag cars running 10's, 9's ,
and a hand full running 8's through the front drive wheels. I have
admiration and respect for the engineering and hot rodder ingenuity that
goes into these wild rides. We shouldn't be slamming THESE guys!

However, these cars are every bit the modern high tech equivalent of the
AFX cars of the 60's that evolved into both modern ProStock and modern
Nitro Funny Car. I keep hearing slams from the import crowd asking to see
a rwd muscle car match their times or burn outs....

Let's see... Kurt Johnson has a pretty quick little camaro. Runs 6.9's
all day at close to 200mph. No bottle, no blower, no turbo, no ice filled
intercooler.

John Force has an even quicker Mustang. Runs a high 4's at over 300 mph.
And last time I checked the guy can handle all comers in a burn out
contest.

Too exotic??? Not a fair comparison??? Bullet Bob Reed has this 32 year
old Plymouth Barracuda. It runs stock shipping weight. Stock block.
Stock crank and rods. Stock heads reworked with stock port volume. Stock
carbuerators. High 8's. Pretty much case closed.

I've got a 30 year old Road Runner 440 six barrel car. It hasn't seen but
a day or two of daylight in 26 years. It was my fathers Super Stocker.
With a set of M/T Sportsman Pro's (33x19.5x15!!!). Some race mufflers. A
side mirror. Some race gas. I've got myself a very cool street cruiser.
A 3800lb dinosaur, that with a little breath of NO2 will see 9's....in the
1/4. You don't have to stop and put ice in the intercooler. And it'll do
a burn out too. Where do these rice boys like to hang out??? :-)

-STE