Re: MOPAR NATS - an editorial

From: Walter Felix (walt_felix@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 09:39:19 EDT

     You have to remember that it's the Mopar Nationals. When most people
think Mopar, they think "Muscle-cars". As nice as your truck is, your still
driving a late model pick-up. As much as I disagree with it, we're still
the red-headed stepchild of the Mopar enthusiast community. Many shows and
cruise nights I've been to, have a cut-off year and wouldn't even let you in
with a late model truck. And many of those that do, really don't know how
to class show trucks. I've been in shows with my 88 Dakota and 00 Ram that
had me in the same class as a Lil' Red Express, a Dodge Big Horn (18
wheeler) and a Dodge motor home. Basically, if it's not a car, it's in the
truck and van class.

As a truck enthusiast, take the initiative and speak with the show
organizers. Work with them on setting up the truck classes. Most of these
people are Car-People and don't know what they are looking for when judging
truck classes. If the classes are already set up, talk with the judges and
offer your suggestions. Two years ago when at the Mopar Atlantic Nationals,
I offered to help judge the truck classes because none of the host club had
any experience judging truck classes.

They tried moving the Mopar Nats to Indy a number of years back. I was
there and the event was awful. The staff at Indy really seemed like they
didn't want us there and were downright rude. The cops busted some serious
balls. It was so bad, for months afterwards all the Mopar Magazines had
reader mail printed saying that the show sucked and they would never go
back. Some vendors were even selling bumper stickers and t-shirts that said
"Bring Back Brice Road". Attendance fell off so sharply the following year,
they moved the show back to Columbus the year after that.

I enjoy Brice Road and have even done a burnout one or twice myself. I,
however, don't agree with doing that shit on private property. If you piss
those people off enough times they may not accommodate you in the future. A
great example is the 4 Wheel Jamboree Nationals in Bloomsburg, PA. Every
year there is a big 4x4 truck show there and the town of Bloomsburg sponsors
a cruise night on Saturday night. Because they had so many problems in the
past, this year they did not do the cruise night and the cops were ticketing
anyone cruising with a truck that was not street legal. Changed the whole
atmosphere of the event and I know of several people who will not be
returning next year.

Walt Felix
88½ Dakota Sport 4x4, 2000 Ram 1500 QuadCab Sport 4x4 and a 67 Barracuda
Coupe 340/4Speed
Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.Walt-n-Ingrid.COM
http://WWW.MoparsinMotion.COM