Re: Re: Strange noise from a 94 Dakota

From: Jared Kaplan (blizzard@gis.net)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 15:31:32 EDT

well... I hope its not the timing chain... or anything building up in my
muffler. From what everyone, mainly here, has been telling me it seems like
it may be time for a new catalytic converter. Now on to the question as to
what kind (this may not matter). I know I can go to (a trusty) Midas and
get one for just under $100 with their guarantee (i think its lifetime...
most of their stuff is... minus labor), or I can get a high performance one
(DynoMax) and have a mechanic who does most of what I ever need done for us
put it on.

I think I am going to gradually upgrade parts in the truck to high
performance as they wear out (since it is a 1994)... that is if the parts
are not too much more expensive. I'll probably be getting a brand new
truck... in about 5 years assuming this one holds up. While that may be a
long way off, i'd rather hold onto money and invest it in the new truck in
5 years rather than this used one, however if a high performance part is
not too much more expensive than the stock, or if its a low priced part
anyway (such as the K&N air filter), i'll buy it.

Ok... now that I've completly went off what I was talking about, is it
worth putting in a high performance catalytic converter w/ an stock exhaust
system, and how much are they usually if anybody know. Also, are those bolt
on converters any good, or do they eventually loosen and fall off? I'm kind
of new to this stuff :)

Thanks for your help everyone... sure is nice to have a mailing list
devoted to the kind of truck we own!

Jared Kaplan