Re: 4.7 thermostat 180degree

From: Marty Galyean (mgalyean@acm.org)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 15:44:43 EDT

When it comes down to it, if it seals over time as well as a gasket, then its a
gasket. I made a custom gasket for an oil journal cover from thin
non-corrugated cardboard with oil rubbed into it and dressed with a thin coat of
form-a-gasket; it is still sealing tight on my baja after 5 years. Not sure if
I'd do the same on my dak though. Plus the water circuit can have higher
pressures. So maybe this concept is good for oil plumbing only (where the oil
tends to keep the gasket oiled); certainly don't try this on exhaust ports, ha
ha, "honey? do you smell something burning?", "what? I can't hear you over
that horrible hissing noise!"

If you can get the old one off undamaged then I am sure it would be fine. You
could hedge your bet with a thin coat of form-a-gasket and keep your eye on it
for a few weeks. But its easy to armchair experiment with other peoples'
vehicles; just do the right thing, whatever that is for you, right?