RE: RE: Re: RE: RE: cooling fan

From: Jon (jon@twistedbits.net)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 12:25:34 EDT

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Barret, Matt wrote:

> Ted, I'm not 100% sure its the PCM overheating but the symptoms are
> fuel/spark cut off during hot weather, under WOT after I shift (5spd) and
> then smash the gas back to the floor the computer is cutting the fuel and or
> spark. Letting the truck cool down is a temp. cure.
> I'm leaning toward possibly a faulty connect somewhere, that expands under
> extreme heat. possibly the TPS. I'm also wondering if under extreme temp
> the TPS is unable to get a proper reading because I'm slamming the gas pedal
> down to the floor so quick it doesn't know what to do??
> hmmmmm???? I'm gonna figure this damn thing out if it kills me!!!

  Matt,

  Here's another thing to consider; I could be way off base, but figured
I'd mention it anyway. I believe a major sensor that the computer
uses to determine engine load is the MAP. When you're up in the rpms
with the pedal to the metal, and you hit the clutch, it seems like
the engine load would go from fairly high to almost nil immediately.
I'm not sure why the engine would cut fuel and spark, but the MAP
sensor may be something else to look at. I think you're on the right
track, I'd probably look at sensors that experience a high delta when
the problem occurs. The TPS is obviously one, the MAP may be another.
If you can borrow someone else's sensors I'd probaby try that, looking
for a loose connection may help also.

  Is this something that has happened recently, or has it always done
this in hot weather? You may want to think about any mods or work
you've done recently to make sure you haven't knocked something loose,
damaged a connection, etc.

  Good luck!!

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'