Re: The ongoing Dak lift project

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 00:39:41 EDT

> Oh yes, axle lift is definitely what matters. Swapping to a solid front
axle is too much cost and custom fabrication for too little real benefit
(for me at least). I
> wanted the torsion bar lift to raise the front a bit in order to make room
for tires, the add a leaf was intended to level the rear of the truck. Axle
lifting duties
> are going to be handled by the tires themselves (BTW, I've almost decided
on BFG All Terrain T/As after driving a set). A body lift alone would make
room for the
> tires, but I can do the torsion bar and leaf work for only a little more
money than the BL.

> Sway-a-way hasn't gotten back to me yet and I've a sinking feeling that
all their bars are splined, so its a junkyard search for relatively new
bars.

Yeah I think the junk yard would be your best bet as of now, if you dont
want to fork out the cash for new bars at the dealer. Measure the length of
the tbars on your truck, and who knows......maybe they are all the same
length and some tbars from a GenIII 4WD Dakota might work. It might be good
to even find a GenIII 4WD 360 5.9L Dakota first, which might have even more
heavy duty that the bars found under the 5.2L 4WD Dakota, but then again
they may be the same. Can anyone confirm what Dakotas use what torsion bars
on the GenIII trucks, or are they they same part numbers from the dealer?
How about the tbars on the GenII Dakotas? I am pretty sure the V8s use
different bars than the V6 Dakotas. Might be something to check into and
research before heading off to the junkyard. Let us know how the tbar search
goes.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6