RE: was: not to own lightening now:MORALITY,

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 13:56:01 EDT

Are we done with all the stereotyping? You can't play poker alone, so I'll
play the other hand. Apologize in advance for alienating half the DML! ;-)

It never ceases to amaze me how people have to compare themselves to others
to feel good about themselves. Who cares if the kid in the R/T had to buy it
himself or not? What's he got to do with your life, and what do you really
know about his? Does he somehow validate or invalidate your experience? If
you're satisfied with they way you've done things, let it stand at that, we
don't have to rate ourselves against anyone else's way of life and prove
that our way of doing things is superior to theirs. Why must we assume we
know something about someone else because of generalizations and prejudices?
I'm not going to buy into that proletarian propaganda that kids who have
jobs are somehow morally superior to those who don't, and I doubt that the
majority of rich kids we went to school with turned into lazy bums. Might
make us feel better to think that, but why?

One of the greatest experiences of my life was going through basic training.
People warned me "they take away your individuality!" Yep, sure enough. We
all looked the same, dressed the same, had the same haircut, and the only
way you could know anything about anyone was by... *gasp* ... talking to
them! What a concept. I became friends and made alliances with people I
never even would have talked to on the outside, and it was only then, for
the first time, that I really understood fully the idea that *everyone is
different*. It really woke me up to the prejudging we do in our everyday
lives, and it's a lesson that has stuck with me every day since.

Yeah, we make sense of our world and move into the future by operating on
what we've seen in the past, so in order to make decisions we have to make
judgements based on what we know. But always, always remember that
generalizations are not truth, always be open to the idea that they can be
wrong, and be willing to modify. The world would be a much better place if
we would give everyone an equal chance. Even the rich kids in the R/T's and
Lightnings.

Stepping down off my hiiiiiiiiigh soapbox now, sorry everyone!

- Alex