RE: Testing for a spark

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 21:17:57 EDT

1) Run a resistance check on each wire with an ohmmeter. But this won't
tell you if the wire is breaking down under voltage.

2) Pull your fuel pump relay. Then one at a time pull each plug from the
block, reinsert them into the wire, and hold them against the block (or any
good ground) and get one of your buddies to crank the engine and watch for
spark across the gap. It should be a bright blue/white.

3) Auto parts stores sell a little screwdriver like gizmo that has a small
neon bulb in it. You hold this beside the ignition wire and it lights each
time the plug fires. These actually work pretty good and they are
inexpensive.

Hope this helps.
Rich - Ashburn, VA
PS. Should we start calling you "Sparky"??? :'B