RE: Gun control (not DML issue or is it?)

From: Alex Harris (aharris@signcast.com)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 01:30:15 EDT

> in Switzerland, it is mandatory to own gun. The crime rate is the
> lowest in the world. Now look at Great Britain who are not allow to own
> guns and they are almost per capital murdering more people than
> those of the countries like America. Hmm! You go figure.

Great Britain has perenially had one of the lowest gun death rates in the
world. In fact, their *total* homicide rate (any weapon) is among the lowest
at 1.41 per 100,000, whereas the USA's (any weapon)is 6.80 per 100,000.
Also, in Switzerland, only 27.2% of households have a gun, as opposed to
4.7% for England (and these include military personnel). I'm not sure how
you got the idea that Brits murder more people per capita than anyone else.

Here are the latest gun homicide rates for the countries that have been
mentioned:

Ireland 0.03 per 100,000 no data on % gun ownership
England/Wales 0.11 per 100,000 4.7% of households have guns
Australia 0.44 per 100,000 19.4% of household have guns
Switzerland 1.32 per 100,000 27.2% of households have guns
USA 4.61 per 100,000 48.0% of households have guns
N. Ireland 5.24 per 100,000 8.4% of households have guns

(it's obvious why Northern Ireland gets its own heading, since they've
pretty much been at war for decades)

Source: International Journal of Epidemiology 1998:27:216 (database updated
1/23/00 -- it takes a while to compile statistics like these). I got this
info at www.guncite.com, which is a pro-gun site.

I am not making any statement for or against gun control -- in fact, I am
firmly for gun ownership, and I am a gun owner. I just believe in dealing
with issues honestly and without hyperbole, and being able to back up your
statements with documentation. No one does their cause any good by making
unsubstantiated, inaccurate claims.

- Alex

P.S. Dak content: mine has four wheels.