Re: Anybody tow with a lowered truck?

From: mike d. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 23:48:33 EDT

>>>I was just wondering,Does anybody tow anything substantial with their
lowered truck? I saw a lowered ext cab,2wd 318/auto dak towing a lawn
service trailer around the other day and I couldn't catch the guy to talk
him.It looked like at least a 2"/4" and maybe a 3"/5" drop and it seemed
handle the trailer real well.Any experiences?<<<

If you lower the truck properly, you will still be able to tow. If you
drop it with a shackle and hanger kit, then you retain the factory leaf
springs so your payload will stay the same. The only real concerns are
that lowered shocks are not designed for towing or hauling, so you will
lose some payload there. Also, clearance. You drop the back 5", then add
2,000 of wood to the back and you're probably gonna' drag tailpipe on
stuff. You can get load-leveling airbag systems for about $150, then when
you load the truck down, you inflate the bags and it'll level it off.
That's what I would do.
FWIW, I put a 95 360 in the back of my dumped dak and drove over 100
miles without any contact made with the road. However, pulling into the
driveway of the engine shop was a whole different ballgame =)

-mike d.

miggitymike@juno.com
http://surf.to/Project13s
PROJECT 13's ----> slammed 88 Dakota, 360 Magnum swap in progress!!

      "support your local economy... lower your truck"

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.