Re: overload leafs

From: GSWillhite (GSWillhite@ualr.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 15:46:39 EDT

Alex, I used 4 jackstands and a hydraulic jack just to
be safe. 2 to hold the body up (frame rails) and 2 on
the differential axles. Using the hydr jack to move the
pumpkin up and down releasing pressure on the springs.
The spring I removed was the 2nd spring from the bottom
and it was bolted in. Theres no reason to remove the
entire spring pack. Just remove the 4 bolts holding
the axle to the spring plate, raise the axle with the
hydr jack, vise grip the top of the spring index stud
and remove the nut (bottom) which holds the pack together.

Remove the spring. The bottom 2 are not clamped so
removal of either one is a snap. Install in reverse
and be sure the aluminum spacer strips are reinstalled
so you won't have any noise in your suspension.

            Just a WARNING!

I don't know how old you are, but please be carefull
under there and if you can't find a friend to help
make sure you know what your doing! You'll need the
right tools, I had an electric impact wrench (love it)
with deep sockets, a torque wrench and vise grips.

Good luck!

GS -