4.7 Plug change report

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 18:12:28 EDT

   Well I changed the plugs on my 4.7 yesterday. They had 7500 miles on them
and didn't look too bad. I was all ready with the 3/4" impact wrench and
everything based on what people had said but all of mine came out pretty easy.
(cold engine) Even used a stubby flex-head ratched for the rear ones without a
problem. All seemed to be gapped at about .042 or .043. All in all not too bad
a time. I did come up with a few things that made it a bit easier for me. The
big coil housings that must be pushed back on went on much easier if I wiped
them clean with a soft cloth and put some spray silicone on the o-ring that
seals it part-way down the stem. Also, it was mentioned here a couple times
about what a pain the rubber or foam insert is in the spark plug sockets. For
all mine when I got them I cleaned them well, took out the foam insert and put
some silicone sealer in the socket. I then shoved the foam insert in there. I
then took an old spark plug and used spray silicone lube on the ceramic stem
and put it in the socket and left it stored that way for about 6 months. Now
they all work enough to hold a plug while installing but will let go when you
need it without leaving the foam thing stuck to the plug. Good luck!