Re: Offroad capability (was: Tired of getting slammed)

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 18:12:05 EDT

This is very true. The solid front axles will give the Jeeps better
articulation numbers on an RTI ramp. I don't go boulder crawling, so
I don't care too much. As for strength, my personal opinion is that
our IFS is just as strong as a stock Jeep front axle. (Most built-up
Jeeps will have stronger axles swapped in to replace the stock
units.) My opinion is that the main real-world advantage of solid
axles is it makes it cheaper and easier to put a suspension lift on.

I will also agree with the turning radius on a genII club cab,
Norah's '95 took the whole parking lot to turn around. My regular
cab is quite a bit better. They fixed this with the re-design, our
'98 cc feels like it's pivoting with the rear wheel in one spot
compared to the '95 cc.

I'm sure that there are trails out there that a stock Jeep will make
it through that a stock Dak won't. However, I haven't been on one
yet.

I went a trail ride with Jeeps earlier this spring. There was a
lifted YJ running 31x10.5 tires. He got stuck where I didn't. And
he grenaded his clutch and had to be pulled off the trail by a
Unimog.

There was also a Cherokee there, late model (98 or 99 I believe). He
had a 2" lift running 235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler MT tires. He also
got stuck where I didn't. And he was having electrical problems. I
was talking to him, and he said he's eaten through several
alternators. He told me that Jeep put the alternator on one of the
lowest points on the engine (haven't checked this for myself).
Mounted this low, he keeps submerging alternators and destroying
them. We agreed that this is a poor design for a supposed rugged
off-road vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, Jeeps are great vehicles, and they have tons of
potential. But I find that my Dak keeps right up with 'em on the
trails I run, unless they're really built up.

=====