Re: What's this little thing on my engine sucking air in?????

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 21:01:51 EDT

At 07:18 PM 8/29/00 -0500, you wrote:
>i seem to either have a cap or some vacuum hose missing. on the passenger
>side, right under and to the rear of a vacuum hose that goes to where a
>breather element could be. it's between the fuel injectors (i think that's
>what those are...). there's 2 close together and then one separate, the
>little fitting is in the middle of the empty space. what goes there??? it
>sucks MASSIVE amounts of air and when i plug it the engine bogs down and
>then starts running a bit smoother.

     Is there a vacuum hose running from your passenger side valve cover to
one of those fittings? I suspect there is, that'd be fairly obvious if
that was disconnected. I have a feeling the vacuum hose that provides
vacuum to the cruise control and such has come loose and is probably
hanging behind the engine. If you have cruise control, take a look at the
"ball" hanging on the firewall on the passenger side. There should be a
vacuum hose coming out of it. Follow it down, and you should come to a
T-junction. The rubber hose that comes off of that T-junction should be
connected to that mystery fitting in your intake manifold. Check out the
following pic for a reference:

http://dakota-truck.net/upgrades/mpi/big/05.jpg

   The truck in that particular pic doesn't have a throttle body installed
and the throttle and cruise cables aren't attached, but you can see one
vacuum hose running from the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover to
the intake, and behind and below that fitting, a hose running to the
T-junction that I mentioned.

  Good luck!

                                               -Jon-

   .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
   | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'