RE: What's this little thing on my engine sucking air in?????

From: Jon (jon@twistedbits.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 10:51:18 EDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Hoostine wrote:

> i guess it would make sense for that to be a cruise control vacuum, since i
> don't have cruise control. so, do i just plug it up or do something to it?

   Even if you don't have cruise, it may still hvae been hooked up to
something. (Evap solenoid, I think?) You may want to look at your
driver's side fuel rail; attached to the back bolt of the fuel rail
is a small cannister maybe twice the size of a 35mm film container. It
will have a few vacuum hoses attached to it. You may want to follow
those and see if one of 'em is hanging loose and should be hooked to
the manifold. (Or just fish around at the back of the engine looking
for loose vacuum hoses.) If you are absolutely certain that a hose has
not come off anywhere, then you may have just lost a vacuum cap. You
can buy a new one for a few cents at most automotive stores.

  In any case, you will want to find and re-attach the hose (assuming
one has come off) or cap it off. A vacuum leak that big will definitely
affect the way the engine runs.

                                              -Jon-

  .---- Jon Steiger ----- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@twistedbits.net ------.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
  `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'