GenII 'PoBoy' Intake; Part I Update

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 19:44:43 EDT

Well I bought all the needed parts today for my "GenII Dakota Poboy
Wanna-Be-A-GenIII Dakota Intake", while driving around getting supplies for
work :)
Thanks to Phil, I acquired a GenIII Dakota air hat and it fits great on my
GenII Dakota.....more snug and secure actually than the stock metal air
housing.
My order from Summit arrived yesterday and contained:
1.K&N Cone Air Filter; PN#RE-0920(6"x9"); $36.95
2.K&N Valve Cover Breather; PN#621520; $21.39
Here is what I bought today:
1.One can of Flat Black Hi-Temp Spray Paint: $2.99
2.One can of Primer Spray Paint: $1.99
3.Steel 3" Clamp; $1.13
4.Two 45 degree 3" elbows; $1.78 each
5.Rubber 3" boot connector with dual clamps; $5.04
Total so far: $73.05
Thankfully, I had some leftover 3" PVC pipe in my basement, along with PVC
primer and cement, so this cut down the cost of the project.

The K&N valve cover breather is really sweet and fits nice and tight in the
stock grommet on the valve cover. This is an all metal unit, with no rubber
parts to dry/heat rot out. It looks pretty damn cool on the valve cover too.
Since I will be using this valve cover breather, I wont be needing the
fitting on the GenIII air hat. So, I bought a black rubber cap, used some
black RTV on the fitting, and slid on the rubber cap to seal up this
fitting.

According to my numbers, the K&N Cone Filter I bought should flow about 905
CFM; alot better compared to my Amsoil 2Stage Hi-Flow drop-in filter(9"x2"),
which flows about 339 CFM.

On to the installation:
I mounted the GenIII air hat and mated a 3" ID PVC 45degree 'street-pipe
elbow' to the air hat, connected with a rubber boot with dual clamps. I then
cut an 11" piece of 3" PVC pipe and slid this into the elbow. I then
connected another 45degree elbow to the end of the straight 11" pipe and
connected the K&N Cone Filter onto this elbow. It looks better than I
thought it did. So I then took everything off, marking the position of the
elbows on the straight pipe. I put the stock setup back on, since I wont be
done for a day or two with this setup. I came inside, primed and cemented
the pipe and elbows together. Tonight, I am going to Dremel down any ridges,
imperfections, numbering, and anything else the molding left on the PCV
parts and attempt to create a uniform and smooth surface. Tomorrow will be
the painting phase, and hopefully I will be able to test it out Monday. I am
going to sand off the surface gloss, if I can, with some sandpaper to try to
create a better surface for the spray paint to adhere against. Thanks to all
who have helped! Cant wait to try it out!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6