Re: Painting plastic - THE FINAL WORD!

From: rrsegarra (rrsegarra@email.msn.com)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 10:00:28 EDT

Go figure, the one day I don't go online is the day that an area that I am
an expert in is brought up. I do leather and vinyl repair as well as plastic
repair and paint touchup. If you are going to paint pvc pipe you need to

* wash the parts with comet (this ensures a clean surface as well as scuffs
it up) use a scotchbright pad to clean it.
* Wash it with denatured alcohol or some other wax and grease remover (to
remove the comet reside)
* get a tack rag and wipe off any dust
* buy a adhesion promoter. SEM makes a "ehh" adhesion promoter. I use either
Montana or Dupont adhesion promoters. Sem comes in an aerosol can so you
wont need a spray gun and compressor. the others don't. You can buy most sem
products at a well equipped parts store, Dupont and Montana can be purchased
at a automotive paint store, Napa stores sell auto paint products, but don't
let them talk you into using Martin Senore adhesion promoter it stinks.
* Buy a good quality spray can paint in black. Make sure its a high
temperature rated since engines can get quite hot. When spraying it have a
heat gun/hair drier handy. If you add energy to a chemical reaction you get
a more volatile reaction. Paint that is heat cured is less likely to peel or
chip. That's why a good body shop has an oven to bake your car in after they
paint it.

Ralph
99 Dakota
318