Re: DML:Wanting gen III wheels for gen II ????? help

From: Garret Lewis (ladysmithgwl@juno.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 14:56:56 EDT

Subject: Re: DML: Wanting gen III wheels for gen II ????? help

I assume your1992 V8 4x4 also came with the stock sized 15"x6" rims. If
so,
all 1991-1996 15"x6" steel and aluminum rims have a backspacing of 5
1/8".
If you have checked out clearance under your Dakota, you have noticed
that
in the rear there are very little possible obstructions, however in the
front you have to deal with the upper/lower control arms and with ball
joint
clearance, etc. The 15"x7" aluminum rims used on 1997-2000
Dakotas/Durangos
have a backspacing of 5 1/8"; so these appear to be a 100% bolt on.

Not to get into a big argument with any fellow DML members, but I'm not
so sure that 97-00 15x7 wheels are 100% bolt on. I was going to sell my
15x7 wheels to a local dak owner. He had a 92-92-94 (cannot remember the
exact year) that he was going to put them on. Initially they looked to
have no clearance problems. But, when you lower down the vehicle the
rims at "lockup" rubbed the lower control arms. Needless to say, the guy
didn't buy them and I still have them sitting in my pole barn.

Just my experience. Hope that this helps some.

By the way, does anyone want a set of 15x7 rims.......CHEAP.

Garret
1997, 4x4, cc, v8
http://members.tripod.com/garretl
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!