Re[2]: Need Help Buying a Car Stereo --Aaron

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 21:23:06 EDT

Thanks Aaron, this info. is really helpful! I checked out the install part of
the Crutchfield site and was intrigued by the wiring harness but didn't know
much about it. After your comments I'll be sure to get the appropriate quick
disconnect harness.

As far as the unit goes, I'm so friggin' confused it's not even funny! I've
got it down to the Blaupunkt or the Pioneer but, but, but... The Blaupunkt has
so many slick features (definitely a guy thing), is expandable and has a bit
more power than the Pioneer. OTH, the Pioneer has all the features I want and
fits in my Kota's din and 1/2 perfectly but, but, but! Sheesh!

I guess the only question I've got left is, does the half pint Blaupunkt look
silly in the big Kota bay? It's crazy that this has come down to looks and not
performance... Sounds more like politics/elections than shopping for a head
unit!
Tom

Being a big fan of both Kenwood and Blaupunkt; I'd still choose the Pioneer;
besides being the best fit. From what I see on the specs. they've all got
little trade offs between them. but are very close performers to each other.
 If you decide later that you want to do more with it. The expansion
capabilities are there. I've been in electronics and stereos for about 14
years, and those companies have always had consistant reliability.
       As far as installation goes.. as long as you get the wiring kit for
your truck.. it'll be a piece of cake. and you'll always be able to unplug
it and pop the factory unit back in. My friend was glad he used the wiring
kit on his Ranger when he put in his Sony since he'd had to take it out 5-6
times before it was retired (in favor of a Pioneer system) to a shelf in the
house. The Sony is now residing in my Shelby; but can't play cd's unless I
have it parked or they'll skip too bad. That and the controls in the det.
face are very touchy... on bumps, or hard acceleration or braking.. it likes
to adjust the volume on it's own.
Just my opinions and experiences. Hope it helps.
Aaron
95 Dakota Sport
86 Shelby Charger Turbo
94 Dakota Sport (soon to join ranks)