RE: R/T difference Re: Jack

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 22:29:49 EDT

Some of the math people have used in the driveline losses are a little
off.

The modern 46RE tranmission has a driveloss factor of approx 20%, and
the NV3500 is roughly 15-18%...

Give that-- a 98 RT putting out 200 hp to the rear wheels is putting down
200 / .80 = 250 hp at the flywheel. A 95 SLT (my old truck) put out 217 hp
the rear wheels (with lots of mods)...through a NV3500= 217 / .82 = 262 hp
at
the flywheel. My '00 puts down 237.5 / .80 = 296.8 and change at the
flywheel.

Torque numbers don't work out under the same formula. You cannot take a
torque
figure of 327 at the rear wheels (what I am getting) and / by .80 to get the
crank figures (408 ft. lbs... that'd start to break up my trans/rear end).

So there's a little bit more comparison needed between the 4.7 & 5.9 HP wise
that needs to be looked at. Other times-- Weight, rpm range, torque range,
etc.
Plus a 5 speed will be much more difficult to launch consistantly than a
auto, etc.

Don't worry 4.7L guys.. you'll get mods soon enough.

Peace!

Sam '00 RT