Was: Subject: MSD - got it going Now: Brakes

From: Brett Forehand (brett4hand@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 10:28:01 EDT

>When I was slowing down the
damn e-brake and abs light came on and now it won't come off. I've reset
the computer and everything. The brakes need to be pushed in a shit load
more for me to slow down.

Chris, I'll agree with what Ron said. Sounds like your abs may have a
problem, although it MAY just be the master cylinder. I sure hope yours
doesn't have the same problem mine did.

I had the same symptoms with my truck... brakes would be fine, but if you
really had to use them, the pedal would go to the floor, abs and brake
lights would both come on. Shut the truck off for a while, then the brakes
would be back to normal.

It turned out that my whole system was contaminated. Get this, with OIL.
No way to prove which knucklehead did it, since I travel a lot and have my
oil changed at different places all the time. I was also quite shocked when
the shop manager told me it was going to cost about 1800 bucks to replace
the whole system. New abs, flush all metal lines, replace all rubber hoses
and connectors. I've still got the receipt of all the junk they replaced.

Now here's where my bad day got better. Strange that the shop manager also
brought this up to me, but he told me full coverage insurance would cover
the repair under "vandalism". Apparently as the policy reads, vandalism is
damage done to personal property. Sure enough, the insurance company didn't
have a problem with it, and sent a guy out to do some test samples on the
brake fluid and to see if they could make anyone liable for it. They paid
the whole tab (minus my deductible).

Sorry this got so long, I read your post and it sure reminded me of my
truck. Hope that's not what's wrong with yours though!

Good luck,
Brett Forehand
'94 Dakota CC Sport