2K CC 4.7 woes - long

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 22:47:16 EDT

Well my baby is sleepin at the dealership tonight. I posted last week that my
check engine light came on last thursday after getting gas. The exhaust
started to get a little stinky, but otherwise the truck seemed to run fine. I
re-seated the gas cap repeatedly and tried pulling codes and nothing ever was
displayed. I would hold in the trip odom button while turning on the ignition.
It would go through the check procedure but never flash any codes. Anyway,
going to work wednesday morning the thing all of a sudden starts wheezing and
coughing and just dies. I was going about 40. No shoulder, down in a wash is
where she died. I'm thinkin cool!! Leave me at the bottom of a friggin
canyon!! Well I turn off the key and then try it and she fires right up! So I
continue to work without incident. (well, except for the cranial midget in the
Honda CRX that made me lock both front tires cause he decided he wanted my
lane without lookin...) So I call the dealer and of course they can't get me
in until Thursday. I was gettin near the bottom of that tank of gas so I
headed out at lunch and filled up at a nice new Mobil station. Drive around a
while. No problems. Parked and tried pulling codes, no codes. Engine light
still on. Drive home, engine light on, runs fine (kinda anemic though..) Come
back to work last night, engine light on, runs fine. Head home at 2:30 am,
engine light OFF! Runs fine. Drive in to the dealer this morning, engine light
off, and it seems to be getting back its power. Dealer finally calls me at
5:30 to tell me they finally got it on the computer and my PCM dumped "a slew
of codes". He said spark coils 1, 5, and 8 all loaded numerous errors, the
crankshaft position sensor loaded a code, and there were a number of camshaft
position sensor errors. He said no way can they finish it tonight but they're
going to get back into it in the morning. He thought they might change the
camshaft position sensor and then drive it and see what it does. In any case
he'll let me know.
  Now my questions: Does any of the Techs on the list have any thoughts on
this? I know the smoking gun here is possibly bad gas since it started
immediately after filling up at a run-down Texaco station and started clearing
up about 30 miles after filling up again with presumably good gas. And why
were there never any codes displayed when I did the supposed accepted
procedure to dump codes? Is there another step I'm missing? Or do these types
of codes only display to their computer and cannot be dumped by unworthy
simple minded owners such as myself? Any ideas? Thanks oh Gods of Mopardom
!!