Correct information on Firestone Recalled tires

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (patrickandkelly@erols.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 20:35:05 EDT

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there was not a single tire on
Bernd's list
that Firestone has recalled. Here are the tires recalled:

Only size affected by recall: P235/75R15

Models affected: Radial ATX
                           Radial ATX II
                           Wilderness A/T produced at Decatur, Illinois
plant.

Now, that leaves this whole other list and where it came from. There
were approximately 1.5 million additional
tires produced at Decatur, Illinois at the same timeframe that the tires
under recall were built. NHTSA requested
that Firestone recall these tires also, although there has not been
sufficient evidence to stipulate just cause that
there are defects in these lines. Firestone refused to recall any of
these tires, and still advised that anyone can have
any Firestone tire inspected at any company-owned facility free of
charge, and any defective tires would naturally
be covered under the standard manufacturer's warranty.
  The latest news: Yesterday, Firestone announced that they would
replace any tires on the supplemental advisory list
if the customer believes there is a problem with them or with just cause
at no charge to the customer. All you have to
do is go in and plead your case, and just ask...
  Although I missed yesterdays Senate hearings, I watched all but about
1/2 hour of last weeks initial hearings. If you
bothered to watch it all, it was very revealing, and the information
that could be gleaned from the hearings proves that
75% of what you probably heard on the news, Dateline, 60 minutes, etc,
is completely wrong.
  I havent bothered to lay out the whole story since I am completely
exhausted every day when I come home from work,
but if the DML wants me to, I will. Send me a personal request, and if
I get enough, I'll do it.
  Thanks,
Patrick
oh yeah,