RE: 5.9L octane rating

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 21:11:18 EDT

The FSM, under Fuel Requirements, states in the first paragraph:

        Your engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide
excellent fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded
gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not
recommended. The use of premium gasoline will provide no benefit over high
quality regular gasoline, and in some circumstances may result in poorer
performance.

Now don't go jumping all over me. I didn't write the above, DC did. I do
agree that you should not have to put premium in your tank. I did find,
however, that my pinging with the stock PCM was eliminated when I used 89
octane. It is possible that I may have eliminated the pinging by one or
more of these other options as well.

1) Changed to a colder plug (Autolite 3923's)

2) Changed to a 180 t-stat.

3) Have the dealer retard the timing by flashing the PCM.

Ron
00 SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD
For modifications see my DML Profile