RE: 4.7L computer problem revisited~UPDATE

From: Barret, Matt (MATT_BARRET@earthtech.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 09:48:02 EDT

Ok, I just got back from the dealership. First let me say my dealership is
what I call a real 5 star dealer! First of all, the technician comes out to
the truck and removes the Co-pilot from the my truck, and the guy is real
cool about, he asked if I was going to stay while he pulled the recordings
off the co pilot, I said sure! So he takes me right into the shop with him,
pulls me a chair up and we begin to plug into the DC computer system. He
walks me through all the steps, and tells me what he'll be looking for ect.
So he pulls the recordings off and displays them on the screen, all I can
say is WOW!!! this thing is awesome, it recorded everything that was going
on in the PCM and sensors for 30 seconds each time. It gave readings on
everything you can think of!
Now, if you'll recall I had suspected a TPS problem, even though it never
gave a fault code.
Well, first thing he says is he suspects its the culprit, so we start
looking at TPS voltage during the 30 sec. record. And low and behold the
TPS flat lined right at the time the engine shut down to idle. He is also
looking at Vacuum to see exactly were the throttle plate is. If its closed
then Vacuum will be high, WOT it will be low. The TPS is not totally "bad"
but he suspects there may be defect in it.??? When I left he said he was
going to call DC and review the recordings with them and see if they also
agree that the TPS should be replaced. Now thats 5 star service, I wish
every 5 star dealer was like that, I know some of you all have not had good
luck with them! Anyway, they also replaced my cup holder under warranty.

Matt