RE: RE: RE: Re: 5.9L octane rating

From: Ryan Stewart (firebird@kymtnnet.org)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 09:27:18 EDT

From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 10:58 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: RE: RE: Re: 5.9L octane rating

From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 2:06 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: RE: Re: 5.9L octane rating

-Ryan
99 DA RC R/T

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net
[mailto:owner-dakota-truck@buffnet.net]On Behalf Of Mark Jackson
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 12:06 AM
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: DML: Re: 5.9L octane rating

I own a Dakota SLT w/5.9 (not an R/T) and the manual states that 87 octane
is what is required and that I would not benefit by using a higher octane.
It also said that it would be a waste of money to pay for the additional
octanes. With 87, I think at certain stations that I fill up, it'll ping
like crazy but won't with others.

HISTORY:
I used to own a 1972 Chrysler Newport with a 360 (remember those big
things?) that ran on leaded gas. When I put Texaco gas in it, it knocked
like crazy. I'm not knocking (LOL) Texaco gas, but it made that car knock
while other stations didn't.

NOW:
With the Dakota, I've mostly been using Chevron and figured it would knock
no matter what until I did the spark plug/thermostat change. I recently
found some 93 octane CITGO gasoline on sale at a well known and fairly new
convience store for the two cents higher than the 87 Chevron and decided
what the hell. The 93 fuel is gone now and it didn't knock one bit running
it. I've since then put another tank of 87 Chevron in it but from a
different Chevron station and haven't heard the knock. I'm on the half-way
mark on the fuel tank and have been listening for it.

I figured it would knock again so I'm thinking that maybe that one station
may have some water in the tanks or something. Too bad there isn't a
dashboard warning indicator light or some doohickey that could tell you the
quality of the gas passing through the engine.

HEY....I wonder if I need to do a patent search