Synthetic conversion questions

From: Jason Taylor (Turambur@CenturyTel.net)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 17:05:30 EDT

Hi all,
I am planning on converting all the fluids (engine, trans, rear) to
synthetic (royal purple) this weekend, and have a couple quick questions.
The rear end takes 75w-90...what does the 5spd manual trans use, the same or
ATF? How many quarts for the rear end? How many for the transmission?

Update: I got this response from the same question on MoparChat.com>Dakota
Forum -

Warning!The manual transmission NV-3500 requires a synthetic fluid with no
sulfur content in it. The sulfur will cause corrosion of the synchros. The
only synthetic fluid that I know of that meets this description is Redline
MTL, which states on the bottle itself that it has none. If your shifting
starts getting chunky you'll know what's going on. BTW, I've only been able
to get 2 qts (32ozs) in this tranny before it comes out the filler hole in
my '98. Advise checking the owners manual.
GS -

Any verification on this sulfur issue? Does anyone know if Royal Purple is
sulfur-free?

Thanks...Jason

2000 Forrest Green Dakota Sport CC (4.7L / 5spd / 3.55 rear)