Re: Anybody else? 4.7L cannot hold steady idle when warm?

From: John Burgan (jburgan3@home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 12:08:27 EDT

Scott,
The actions that my dealer took seemed to have solved my idle problems, they
adjusted my IAC motor, throttle plate, and computer. It has been about one
month and 1,200 miles and it has not stalled yet. Before they fixed it, the
engine was stalling at least once a day. The idle fluctuations are now only
there as I roll up to a stop, as soon as the truck stops moving completely
the idle smoothes right out. My '96 318 5spd. used to have the same type of
idle fluctuation when coasting in neutral or with the clutch pushed in. I
think that it has something to do with the computer getting conflicting
signals from the TPS and MAP sensors, that are telling it that the engine is
idling and the speed sensors for the ABS telling it that the truck is still
moving, or something like that. I am sure that someone on the list, more
knowledgeable than I am, can explain it better.
-John