Re: DML : Whats the MPG for a four cylinder dak

From: Steve Preston (steve318@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 21:20:01 EDT

Here`s more to consider:reliability.There are some issues with the late
model 3.9 trucks(all of which,mine has,or had),that 2.5 trucks don`t
seem to have.If you get a 2.5 with a numerically low rear gear and a
five speed,you`ll get good mileage and a very reliable drivetrain,in my
opinion.The 5.2 is a nonissue,they are no longer made in the Dakota
line,if at all.You can get a 2.5,3.9,4.7,or 5.9.You just never hear too
many bad things about 4-cyl. Daks,though.Possibly because they`re
scarce,but I think they are a tough little motor.The majority of
problems on this list seem to center around 3.9/5.2 driveability and
stalling problems,and 4.7 idle/stalling and auto-trans.fluid loss.But if
I had it to do over again,I`d get a 4.7 Dak,for the best overall balance
between economy and power.They are advertised at 19MPG on the
highway(for the ones I`ve seen),which is not bad for a V8.You won`t find
too many 4.7 owners on this list that are disappointed with the engine.
Steve P.

1999 Dakota Sport Intense blue RC 4X4 V6 A/T 3.92 Anti-Spin w/Infinity
CD system and optional crank windows (2)