Re: First Pictures of Gen I Lift in Progress.

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 10:16:44 EDT

> You are correct Kyle, I have a 3" body lift already. I'm installing a 4"
> Trailmaster suspension kit with an additional set of add-a-leafs in the
> rear. Gave me about 4½" of lift in the rear. In the front I have
> refabricated some of the drop brackets to give me about 5+" in the front.
> I'm am also replacing everything under the truck. I got a new set of
> 2000lbs V8 Torsion bars, hubs, bearings, seals, idler arm, pitman arm,
> steering gear box, tie rod ends, lower control arms, CV axles, brake
lines,
> hoses, pads, shoes, hardware, dual shock stabilizer and dual shock mounts
> for the front. I've replaced all of the bushings with polyurethane and all
> of the bolts with high strength grade 8 hardware. For rims I plan on a set
> of these ( http://www.championwheel.com/jeep.jpg ) in a 15x10 with a set
of
> 35 x 13.50-15LT Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. I haven't ordered the rims or
> tires yet as I want to get the truck assembled first. I am going to
borrow
> a set from a buddy who has a similar set of rims and tires on his Ford
> Ranger. I want to see how well they are going to fit before I order them.
> If they don't fit well then I may drop down to a 33" But at the moment, it
> looks like they will fit with no problems.

Walt,
Just curious but how have the front end steering components held up over the
years on your Dakota? Obviously it is a good time to replace these things
since you have it all apart. The only parts I have replaced is the ilder arm
at 98,000 miles and the pitman arm at 110,000 miles. The ball joints(both
upper and lower) and tie rod ends(inner and out) are still very tight with
no play/slop in them. You are even going to replace the steering box eh?
Those Baja Claws really have some impressive looking tread on them,
especially with the 6 ply sidewall compound!!! Also, on your Daks front IFS
Axle, what is the small box mounted to the passenger's side of the axle? It
appears to be some kind of vacuum box? I didnt know the old Daks used vacuum
for front diff engagement if that is actually what it is. Well god luck
anyways, looks like you know what you are doing and looks like you have the
tool the do so.......nice torch tanks :)
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6