Re: 92 Dakota that won't start

From: Jon Smith (jon@fast4x4.net)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 11:10:40 EDT

1st things 1st.. is he getting fuel and spark? pull the fuel pressure test
port cap off the driver's side fuel rail (the thing that looks like a tire
valve) push the valve down with a small wooden object, and have your buddy
spin the motor over (do not spin it much, or fuel will go EVERYWHERE) do it
just enough to see if you're getting fuel.

Then pull the coil wire off of the distributor, stick a long screwdriver in
to make contact with the metal clip inside the boot, and hold the metal
shank of the screwdriver close to a ground. Then have your buddy spin it
over, watching for spark from the screwdriver to the ground.

If you have neither, then it's a matter of tracing back to find out why. If
you don't have a lot of fuel coming out, but you do have some, I would
suspect the fuel filter.

But if he can't pull codes, his problem is likely in the PCM.
   Jon Smith--Raleigh, NC
        jon@fast4x4.net
       www.fast4x4.net