Re: No Slamming people, just advice for me please

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 23:29:20 EDT

At 04:09 PM 9/19/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I know lots of DML'ers use Autolite 3923 sparkplugs. Have you all used them
>for a long period of time?

I have had them in my truck since October '99.

>Was there any other sparkplug used that had such a following before the
3923's?

Champion Truck plugs were tried by quite a few DMLers but many found that
they showed wear in a short period of time (myself included). They are also
very expensive.

>The reason I ask is my engine is basically stock and I don't think I need
a colder
"performance" plug yet.

You are correct if your truck engine is stock. I use them because my engine
is modded and I drag race so anything that will help dissipate heat quickly
away
from the engine/heads/combustion chambers is very important and beneficial to
me. The only other reason to use them is if you are experiencing mild
pinging.
For your truck, the 5224s, if you have a 5.2L, would probably be a more than
adequate choice.

>Also, on a 97, 318 is it advisable to remove or leave in the round metal
>"sleeves" that surround the sparkplugs? What is the purpose of these? It
>would seem so much easier to take the boot off the plug and the plug out
>without these there. Jay

They are there as protection to the boot of the plug wires from the heat given
off by the exhaust manifold. I have gone to headers and have taken them off
with no adverse effects.

Hope this helps.

Bob