Re: "tire valve type thingy on fuel rail"

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 21:05:37 EDT

> Everytime I read something on the DML I run out and look under my hood.
> There has been mention of a "tire valve type thingy" on the fuel rails
for
> fuel pressure release. I have a 97, 318 Dak and can't find one anywhere.
> Did these not come on 97 and newer Dak's?

Not sure 100%, but it should be there. Basically, it looks just like a valve
stem found on tires. It even has the little protective cap. On my 93 Dak, it
is located on the driver's side on the engine, close to the firewall, near
the fuel pressure regulator. Once the protective cap is screwed off, there
is a little 'pin' inside the valve, which once again resembles the 'pin'
found on tire valve stems. Depress this pin, and you bleed out the pressure
of the fuel system. I think this is also called the fuel system pressure
test port; where you can obviously screw a pressure gauge dial onto this
valve to check for fuel pressure and possible problems. I am pretty sure
somewhere around 95-96 Dodge stopped using the pressure regulator style I
have, but there still should be this pressure relief valve for the fuel
system somewhere on your 97 Dakota. Can anyone clerify my ramblings?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6