Re: intake & PCV valve (HELP!!)

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 00:24:00 EDT

I don't get the point where you said "upgraded intake tube" PVC pipe or
some other kinda custom setup?

Basically, there are 2 tubes that connect to the valve covers.

1) on the right side (Where the oil caps are on 239, 318 and 360s) is a
breather tube. It connects into the back of the air hat.

2) the PCV valve, which plugs into the side of the intake manifold and has a
couple "L" bends in the rubber line and attaches to a valve that is pushed
into the valve cover and held in place by a grommet.

If you ran it with "1" off or just not conncted to the back of the intake..
nothing should happen.

If you ran it with "2" off the intake manifold, your engine would have died
from running tooooooo lean and you'd hear a HUGE vacuum leak. IF you have
it unhooked from where the PCV valve hooks onto the valvecover, nothing much
should have happened. The purpose of the PCV (positive Crankcase
Ventilation) valve is to take pressure and in older cars, blow-by, out of
the valvecovers. Also recirculates some gasses that pass the rings
(blow-by) back into the intake so it can be re-burned....That's it.

Just plug it back up. and keep driving. I don't believe the computer is
THAT nit picky. I'd reset the computer by taking off the negative terminal
on the batter for 5 or 15 minutes. connect it and just drive...
-Dester