was: Need some tips, Now Hub Opening

From: Tim J Koth (Tim.J.Koth@aexp.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 21:28:07 EDT

Not true!!! I've heard this before from other people. The wheel has to be
supported solely by the studs and lugs. The center hole provides no benefit
whether it is big or small. Think about it, in order for the center hole to
provide any support whatsoever it would have to be press-fit over the hub!!
My '85 3/4 ton Ram 4x4 had about a quarter inch gap between the hub opening in
the wheels and the hub. I had several people, one a supposed mechanic tell me
those things were going to fly off going down the road one day. Well they held
up just fine carrying as much as 9000 pounds weighed on a scale. (just the
truck and its contents, no trailer) There was never a problem with them. Look
at the hubs of other big trucks, you usually find a fairly pronounced gap.
ymmv

- snip --
.... Especially the dimension of the hub opening. Make
sure that it is for the Dakota hub size. With some Fittipaldi's the hub
opening may be too big resulting in the wheels being totally supported on
the lug nuts rather than the hub of the wheel.