Spark Plug removal 5224 to 3923 findings LONG

From: Chuong Nguyen (dester223@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 22:15:06 EDT

Hey gang.

This is just to anyone who would like some info on the dakota autolite 5224
and 3923 plugs. It is quite long....

I have a 97 dakota v6 auto, elec. fans, pullies, ported tb, intake sys,
headers, exhaust and a blaster 2 coil.

I had some autolite 5224s in there about a year ago. Should be 15-20k miles
on them already...

I just started hearing more pinging lately, so I decided to try the 3923s
out.

Upon removal of the old plugs. They all looked yellow-whitish on the
insulator and there were 2 plugs that had heavy ash deposits on the
electrode and stem contact point. That was specifically the plug on
cylinder #5.

Anyways. Gap ranged from .056-.058 so they were fairly consistent, but the
bad thing is, I think I rememberd that I gapped them around .044 a year ago.
  Maybe the blaster 2 coil (along with an EX-jacob's omni ignition) might
have caused the electrodes to wear down faster.?!?!

I checked in my new Haynes manual and for the condition my plugs were in.
It is classifed as Normal, Too hot, and High speed glazing.

Normal is normal. Too hot is probably related to the heat range and
ignition system, but it wasn't BADLY in the "too hot" stages. The High
speed glazing suggests that I wing the throttle too much, causing a variety
of differnent combustion chamber temperatures, causing it to have the
yellowish glaze on the insulator on some of them. In the book, it actually
says something like "If driving habits can't be deferred, try a colder range
plug." I think I will!

That's about all folks. I broke a little clip thing while pulling one of
the wires out, but I have a spare and Split Fire is about to send me a
CORRECT new set so I think I'll leave them mismatched for now.

Also, I pulled out those boot protectors and 3 of them on the side where you
pour oil in (gotta start using a funnel) had some oil in the ring where it
slides onto, but hte other 3 on the other side were bone dry. The ceramic
points looked a little burnt on the old 5224s, but nothing else. Total R&R
on the plugs took ~12 minutes. This also included the extra 5 seconds it
took to pull out each of those boot protectors.

-Dester

Stand back boys, I'm going for the GOLD medal on "how fast can you change
plugs on a 97 dakota v6"