Re: RE: Speaking of Redline was:R/T question

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 10:04:27 EDT

Hi, Bill

At 08:02 PM 9/21/00 EDT, you wrote:
> <snip>
>Have heard of any know lifter problems from reving 6000 ? I've only heard
>rumors and theories ? Bill

I personally haven't heard of anyone having lifter problems at 6000 rpm
but I thought (could be mistaken) that I remembered a Frank or Bruce (of F&B)
post from around '98 mentioning something about lifters. I looked for it
but lost it when my browser did a wipeout on my logical drive. At any rate,
I did recall this article in Mopar Muscle--Inductive Reasoning, July 1997.
The part about lifters is:

   "... The other concern centers on the lifters. They're real heavy
    and overcome the strength of the lifter bore casting at high RPM.
    Spinning the Magnum to 5400 RPM is borderline, 5800 RPM too much,
    and above 6000 RPM can be the kiss of death. What happens is the
    heavy lifters crack the casting, start to wobble, and the valve train
    self-destructs. When the valve train starts to go bonkers, you'll
    notice an upper RPM vibration, almost like the engine is out of balance.
    Either limit your shift points, buy a Fluidampr, or pray somebody develops
    a lightweight lifter for the Magnum ..."

I suppose that the above could happen with substained op at 6000 rpm and heat
build-up. I know that I floated the valves a couple times last year with the
stock components at around 5300-5800 rpms just after doing too long burnouts.

Bob