RE: Re: Antenna on a '99 Dak

From: hcatlett@cfl.rr.com
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 08:23:24 EDT

If you have any kind of window tint on the rear window then you
must cut a hole in it because the metal in the tint (like titanium)
will eat your incoming (and outgoing if you're a ham [I am])
signal causing a big loss in incoming signals. This is aftermarket
add on stuff. OEM in the window tint is no problem.
Make sure that you have removed all of the tint plastic (it's
usually about 3 layers).
another thing to consider, Cable losses and interference from
the truck electronics. The longer the cable (like under the
cab thru the engine compartment, firewall, under the rug, etc.
 creates many potential problems. You need to keep the cable
as short as possible, follow all the manual instructions, etc.
 Make sur you use quality cable of the right impedance. Radio
Shack and other aftermarket antennas will work fine.
Just remember that anything will deteriorate you signal so keep
it short and out of the way of other interferers.
Good Luck.
I put my thru-the-glass antennas on the side windows of my CC.
 Had to cut holes in the tinting and scrape to the glass to be
sure of a good capacitve connection.