Re: Tire Diameter

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 18:11:46 EDT

> Got a quick question for you all...my cousin just chaged his rear tires on
> his 99 Dak from 215's to 235's. The next morning he got nailed by radar
for
> 79mph. He has never done more than 75 at most...
>
> Question- how much difference will going from 215's to 235's affect the
> speedometer reading?? Need some help guys to get him out of this...

Just for info, my friend recently bought new, and larger tires for his 2000
Ram Quad Cab(5.9L) 4x4. The stock tire size was 265s(16") and he put on
285s, BFG AT KOs. On the highway he tagged along-side my Dak and averaged
5-6 miles faster on his spedo than he was actually going. We drove to my
house, and I grabbed my Magellan 315 GPS. We took it out again, and his
speedo read 55 when he was actually traveling 60. On a 10.6 mile highway
run, his trucked said he went 10 miles. So it was 6tenths less. This is just
for reference though! I just love it when people speed, and then say they
werent, it just cracks me up. "Officer, my spedometer is off due to the
change in tire size"........."Ok, here is your ticket".......hehe.........
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6