Re: Nasty Rattle! PLEASE HELP (kinda long...Sorry)

From: Steve Preston (steve318@webtv.net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 09:23:45 EDT

Smack your catalytic converter with the back of your fist to see if it
rattles(if so,it`s bad).I have heard a couple different noises
myself.One sounds exactly like what you would get if you dumped out the
contents of a can of "Stokely" brand green beans,dropped the lid back in
the can,and shook vigorously(the can).LOL! I hear a thin,metallic
clanking noise,probably exhaust/converter problem on mine.Loose heat
shield,maybe.Very rarely do I hear it.The other noise I get is a single
"clunk" from the passenger side front suspension,usually driving around
the left-hand,bumpy curve 50 feet from my house.I hear that every
day.Ball joint,probably.But,hey,it`s Mobil 1 time again! That will give
me a chance to check these things out for myself.See,I`m not like
Bernd,who LIKES major disassembly just for repair/mods of one item.I`m a
"kill two birds with one stone" kind of mechanic! :>)

99 Dakota Sport Intense Blue RC 4X4 V6 42RE 3.92 Anti-Spin w/Infinity CD
system and optional hand-crank windows (2) 3923 Autolite spark plugs
Big Blue Ram sticker in the slider window that intimidates people into
establishing a safe following distance