Re: 5.2 vs. 4.7

From: Ohm347@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 23:42:56 EDT

In a message dated 09/30/2000 7:08:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
willcoughlin@hotmail.com writes:

<< Well, I own a 4.7L and wish everyday it was a 318(5.2L)!! I would gladly
 swap my truck for a 318 truck anyday of the year.

very interesting. i am of the opposite opinion. i traded in my leased 98
club cab sport+4x4 5.2l 5speed for a 00 clubcab sport+4x4 4.7l 5speed. both
trucks were modded the same k&n fipk on 98 resurrected and modified for my
00's poorboy and 3 inch gibson cat back singleside exit (thanks steve of
smokindakotax2) on both trucks. i of course have no empirical data to back
this up but the butt dyno tells me that the 4.7 pulls a lot smoother downlow
with none of that (IMHO) annoying flat spot when you first get into third and
have to wait for the power to spool up. i know the specs show the 4.7 has
less power and torque than 5.2 but i've driven both, alot, very aggresively
(did i mention i lease my trucks) and i think the 4.7 is faster than my 5.2
was.
you might want to talk to some other people about the size of your exhaust.
i had a really good conversation with mark?(from seattle) when a bunch of us
got together at a starbucks in surrey a while back and from what i recall
from that conversation your exhaust maybe to large for the size of your
engine. he was running either twin 3" or 3 1/2"(memory is a little hazy as i
awoke late that day and forgot to eat till 7pm) on his RT which was decently
modified in the engine area and from what he had tried and tested he felt
twin exhaust of that size where to big for either the 5.2 or 4.7. we don't
have the cubes to support them.
hope this helps
derek