Re: Secure fix....

From: Jon Steiger (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 00:29:02 EDT

At 04:43 AM 9/30/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi all, I'm one of the lurkers on here lookin for a solution. I have a '99
>5.2 5spd and a powerdyne sittin in the garage. We (my buddy and I) already
>have the head gasket replacement resolved but I am kinda curious as to a
>solid fix to the belly ban gasket blowin up on me. I have heard of the M1
>as well as the MPI and also some install kits to go along with them.
>Anyhoo, I would like to take the precautionary measures now to prevent any
>problems with the belly pan gasket, what are my options and which method
>is preferred to take care of this? I do not want to modify the stock
>intake/manifold but would much rather replace it with something more solid
>and secure and what the hell, a couple extra hp wouldn't hurt =)
>
>Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

   Jimmy,

   The MPI intake manifold is exactly the same as the M1 except that the
fuel injector bosses have been drilled out and it includes an adapter to
mount the stock TB to the intake. (The M1 is a 4bbl manifold.) Neither
manifold has a belly pan gasket to blow out which is nice. :-) The only
"gasket blowing" type problem with the MPI is, when installing, you have to
be careful to put some RTV at the back of the manifold, and fill the dowel
locating holes. Some people have reported a leak at the back of the
manifold. I got lucky with mine since I didn't know about the problem at
the time I installed it, and I haven't had any leaks. Its not really a
problem if you seal it up well enough though. (Spend the $12 on a can of
Rite Stuff and save the headaches.) :-)

    The install kits and more info about the MPI can be seen
here: http://www.steigerperformance.com

    An install guide can be found here:
http://www.dakota-truck.net/upgrades/mpi

TTYL!

                                               -Jon-

   .--- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ---.
   | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
   | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |
   `------------------------------ http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ----'