RE: RE: Re: 180* thermostat

From: Kenneth Eng (kenneth.eng@datajump.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 23:03:27 EDT

This afternoon I just installed the Stant Heavy Duty 180 degree thermostat
on my 98 V6. The biggest pain was scraping the old gasket from the housing
and engine block. Didn't have any gasket remover on hand so I just used a
safety razor. Had to take off the alternator from it's mounting bracket to
scrape the gasket residue from the engine block. After scraping off the
gasket residue everything went back on with no problem.

Before removing my stock thermostat I also noticed that anti-freeze was
leaking out from where the housing unit mounts to the engine block as there
was a puddle of anti-freeze around it.

Bernd, you mention grinding off a tab during the installation process. Was
this the 1/4" x 1/2" tab on the housing unit? I didn't do this as this did
not cause any problems during the re-install.

Ken