Bolt-ons, was: Throttle Bodies

From: Mark Kuzia (flyboy01@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2000 - 08:39:22 EDT

I have to disgree, I have done my own, and used one that was done
professionally. Both gave performance gains! Even a light cleanup on the
factory castings will give you performance gains. The goal is to increase
the CFM rating of the factory unit, if you take a close look at it, there is
a ridge about 1/2 way down the bore that is a restrictor, also note the
rought finish of the bore, look at the thickness of the blade and the shaft.

By cleaning up these flaws and polishing the bore, you will gain as much as
100 cfm or more of airflow. If you consider that the factory casting flows
around 450-500 cfm, you are talking about a 20% increase in flow! Trust me,
the 318 and especially the 360 will be able to use this as the factory
settings on the computer is over-rich at WOT.

Of course there are some limitations also, the computer itself is a
limitation, the OBD-II system is very anti-performance. This computer seems
to de-tune performance mods, which was one of the main reasons I sold my 99'
Dakota to buy a 95' Dak. The facts are undeniable, bolt-ons work better on
OBD-I systems, even Hot Rod magazine did a test on boltons for the R/T and
came to the same conclusions I did a year ago, OBD-II is a crap system.
Getting a Mopar PCM is a must if you want to do bolt-on's in a Gen III Dak.

The exhaust is another limitation, If you replace the exhast system with the
Mopar headers and a cat-back system of choice, you will get noticable gains
too. Replacing the cat with a ultra-high flow one will give dramatic gains
also.

The important thing to know about all of our bolt-ons is that one-at-a-time,
they don't work as well as all-at-once. The engine is an airpump first and
foremost, and increasing the CFM of a t-body will not help much if the back
side of the pump is restricted. And finally, all of the HP gains that
manufacturers list is JUNK! These gains are very optimistic! The only one
that seems to be real world is is the Mopar PCM.

Mark Kuzia
flyboy01@mediaone.net
http://people.mw.mediaone.net/flyboy01/home.html
1995 Dakota 13.79 @ 102.45 mph