Re: Re: H/D Maintenance for my '97,Attn: Kyle

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 17:39:51 EDT

Kyle,
No, it is not a 4X4. My Dak is a 2-Wheel Drive '97 5.2 ClubCab that uses
twin Drive Shafts with a Center Bearing. You're right, under normal
conditions, they
should not need replacing. But....some time ago I wrapped a large piece
of a SemiTruck Re-Tred (steel re-inforced) around the rear drive shaft at
90 MPH. It locked the drivetrain and made for a interesting ride to the
side of the road. Completelly destroyed the transmission. I had replaced
the U-Joints a couple of times and then the Center Bearing but still had a
slight vibration I couldn't get rid of. Got tired of screwing around with it
and just replaced everything. Problem solved.

As for the radiator......Late this summer I needed to replace the Belly Pan
Gasket. It had just started to leak. Since a lot of stuff had to come off
the engine to do this, I thought it would be a good idea to replace the
water pump while it was apart. Unfortunately, my tech dropped the old
water pump while removing it and it went through the radiator in two places.
He felt bad about this and ordered a new radiator from MOPAR at no cost
to me. So, now I have a new Radiator, Water Pump, thermostat, hoses,
clamps and a new GatorBack Belt.

Yes, the 'ol Dak is running much better than when it was new.

David R.
Sterling Heights
Michigan
drd892@aol.com